315 Spring St., Portland, Me. 04102
College, Waterville, Me. 1977 Cum Laude.
MFS with Honors. Yale University. New Haven, CT.1986.
Waynflete School, Portland, Maine. 1986 to present.
High School Biology and Marine Biology
Faculty coordinator of school Outing Club.
12th grade Team Leader.
Director of 9th grade seminar program.
· Teaching Assistant: Yale School of Forestry and Environmental
· Faculty- Baker River School, Wentworth, N.H. 1980-1983.
· Instructor National Outdoor Leadership School, Lander Wyoming.
· Staff: Chewonki Foundation Environmental Education Programs.
· Director: Ocean Park Environmental School. Ocean Park, Me. 1978-79.
· Staff: Otter Lake Conservation Schools. Greenfield, N.H. 1977-78.
Professional Development Experience
· Marine Biology for Teachers Course: Isles of Shoals, NH.
· ELI/ Woodrow Wilson Fellowship Foundation Mayan Coast TORCH Program
· Marine Biology of Bermuda Teachers course Bermuda Aquarium and
Zoo and Bermuda Biological Station for Research 2000
· Have led Outdoor Education Expditionary learning trips with high
school students to Arizona, Colorado, Utah, California, Florida, Georgia,
Maine, New Hampshire, Bermuda and Quebec.
Above trips involved activities including hiking, kayaking, bicycling,
· Research Participant at the Mingan Island Cetacean Study Center
in Mingan Island Archipelago on St. Lawrence River Estuary.
· AP Environmental Studies Teacher Institute.
· Independent consultant in Sexuality and HIV Education.
· Presenter and trainer for both youth and adults using innovative
teaching techniques through a blend of music, drama, humor and interaction.
· Director of Risky Zone Initiatives, a non-profit organization
devoted to producing innovative health education materials using music
and interactive curricula. (Writer and developer of "Staying Out
of the Risky Zone" a music and curriculum project addressing Teen
Sexuality and HIV issues.)
Current member of Boys To Men Conference Steering Committee. A conference
focusing on the journey that boys make from youth to adulthood.
· Co-chair of School/Community Health Issues Advisory Committee.
· Comprised of students, faculty, administrators, trustees and
community professionals, this group researched, drafted and implemented
a complete set of health policies, procedures and curriculum recommendations
for a K-12 school.
· Founder and advisor of Students for Safer Sexuality, a SIECUS
award winning Peer Education program for High School Students.
· Founder and former advisor for Waynflete School Peer Facilitator
Program. A state recognized program where high school youth work with
middle school youth as part of their school advising program.
· Former member of Greater Portland Substance Abuse Prevention
· Recipient of the Knowledge is Power Award awarded each year by
Planned Parenthood of Northern New England for work in the field of Adolescent
· Recipient of Youth Alternatives Prevention Educator of the Year
Institutes and trainings attended
· Northwest Institute for Community Health Educators. (NICHE) August,
· Planned Parenthood of Northern New England SAR Training. June
· Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, Teen Sexuality Workshop.
· NPHA. National Peer Helpers Association Conference. 1991, 1992,
· Advanced level training 1991.
· Youth as Agents of Prevention Pre-conference training. 1993.
· International Society for AIDS Education Annual Conference. Chicago,
· Nov. 1993. Pre-conference Workshop on Human Sexuality
Partial List of Presentations Given
-Keynote Presenter- Maine State Student HIV Leadership Conferences-Dec.
6 and 8, 1994.
-Keynote Presenter- National Teen AIDS Conference-Washington, D.C. Feb.
-Keynote Presenter- Region 10 Reproductive Health Conference- + Workshop
Presentation. Portland, Oregon. March 1995
-Workshop presenter- EDA American Association of Physical Education, Health,
Recreation and Dance Professionals, Eastern Regional Conference. Workshop
presentation, March 3, 1995.
-Train the Trainers session for Coalition of AIDS Peer Educators Programs.
Seattle, WA. March, 14, 1995.
-Seattle Public Schools- 1 day Health Educator Training Program. March
-Conference Facilitator and Keynote presenter for Maine State Student
HIV Leadership Conference. March 28, 1995.
-Session presenter: Northeastern University . AIDS AWARENESS WEEK.
-Keynote and Workshop sessions for Adolescent Sexuality Conference. Eugene,
Or. April 17-18, 1995.
-Keynote: California Office of Family Planning Conference on Teen Pregnancy:
ENABL programs. April 26, 1995. Closing presentation.
-Keynote presenter and Session Presenter: Taking Charge: A National HIV
Peer Education Conference.
Seattle, WA. Aug. 4-5, 1995
-Maine Diversity Leadership Conference. Interactive Drama Workshop presenter.
Aug. 13, 1995.
-Keynote and workshop presenter: Maine State HIV Education Conference.
-Keynote and workshop presenter: Illinois Statewide HIV/AIDS Network.
Springfield, Ill. Nov. 1996
-Keynote presenter and conference facilitator: Maine HIV Student Leadership
Conference. Dec. 1995
-Presenter, Morse High School Awareness Days. 1998, 2000, 2001.
-Keynote Presenter, Maine State HIV Educators Conference. 2000.